Some savvy advice on better Illustrations:
* CARRY a sketchbook. Usually everywhere- DRAW from real life.
* WATCH You-Tube for the Best Procreate, ADOBE CC Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign tips and tricks.
* GO ahead and do random covers/product packaging or magazine layouts or comics (whatever is your favourite form of design) in your spare time- leave them in your folio as a WIP (work in progress) More often than not employers want to see where your creative head is at now. And what you can come up with on your own two feet.
* ALWAYS have your current folio somewhere on the net. (Yay for wordpress.com) It just means you have an instant talking point with potential employers. And keep it UPDATED.
* Practice, Practice, Practice!